Squash Casserole is actually summer time on a plate.
This straightforward aspect dish has each zucchini and yellow summer time squash topped with a crispy breadcrumb layer.
Fast to whip up and ideal for any meal, this dish could have everybody asking for seconds.
Substances in a Squash Casserole
Whereas some recipes comprise components and fillers like eggs and bread crumbs, this squash casserole recipe focusses on the squash itself.
- Onion: Onion provides taste to this dish; stir in a little bit little bit of garlic when you’d like.
- Squash: Recent yellow squash and zucchini are the celebrities right here. Select ones which might be agency and vibrant in colour for the very best style and texture.
- Topping: butter, seasoned bread crumbs, and cheddar cheese add an ideal crisp topping to this recipe. Swap the bread crumbs for Panko breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz crackers or saltines to make a buttery cracker topping. Different cheeses akin to Gruyere or Monterey jack can be utilized on this recipe.
- Optionally available Add-Ins: crimson or inexperienced bell peppers, cheeses, garlic, tomatoes
Make It Your Approach
This yellow & zucchini squash casserole will be made to your choice so far as texture.
For a softer casserole, slice the zucchini a bit thinner, and when sauteeing within the frying pan, cook dinner it a little bit bit longer so it’s tender-crisp however a bit on the softer aspect.
For tender-crisp squash, hold the zucchini at 1/4″ thickness. Ensure you don’t overcook it.
The best way to Make Squash Casserole
- Preparation: Slice up the onion and squash per the recipe under.
- Prepare dinner: Sauté the onion in butter and olive oil till tender, then add the squash and seasonings.
- Assemble: Place the cooked squash and onions right into a greased casserole dish and high it with a combination of breadcrumbs, melted butter, and cheese.
- Bake: Pop the casserole within the oven till the squash is tender and the topping is golden, normally round 35-40 minutes. Take pleasure in sizzling!
- Place squash and onions upright (standing on the sting) in a casserole dish. Simply tucke the onions into the squash combination.
Buttered bread crumbs cook dinner shortly, so regulate the casserole. If the crumbs are browned earlier than the casserole is completed cooking, cowl loosely with foil.
Can It Be Reheated?
Zucchini squash casserole tastes greatest when served contemporary from the oven however in fact it may be reheated.
Retailer leftover squash casserole tightly lined within the fridge for as much as 4 days. The breadcrumbs received’t be as crisp however the squash itself will nonetheless style scrumptious!
To reheat bake till sizzling (or you possibly can reheat within the microwave). Then activate the broiler component and put the heated casserole under the broiler for a couple of minutes of cooking to re-crisp the bread crumbs. Higher but, make a contemporary batch of crumbs and high the leftovers with these.
Zucchini squash casserole pairs effectively with nearly any meaty foremost dish. Serve it with roasted or grilled chicken, barbecued ribs or hamburgers. It additionally goes nice with Salisbury steak or pork chops with mushroom gravy.
Summer season Veggie Sides
Simple Squash Casserole
Slices of tender zucchini and yellow squash meld with a crunchy breadcrumb topping for a dish so satisfying and filling which you can even serve it as an entrée.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Slice squash/zucchini into ¼-inch slices.
In a big skillet over medium warmth, cook dinner the onion in butter and oil till tender. Incrase the warmth to medium-high and add the squash, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Prepare dinner for five to six minutes or simply till tender crisp.
In a greased 2 qt casserole dish, organize the squash and onions so the squash is standing on its aspect.
Mix breadcrumbs, cheeses, and melted butter in a small dish. Sprinkle over squash.
Bake 35-40 minutes or till squash is tender.
- For crisper squash minimize it thicker, for softer squash, minimize it thinner.
- To maintain the squash from releasing extra liquid, sauté in olive oil till barely softened.
Energy: 157 | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 8g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Ldl cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12257IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg
Vitamin data supplied is an estimate and can range primarily based on cooking strategies and types of elements used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.